Saturday, December 20, 2014

12 days of Christmas! | Creative Gifts this Holiday!

It's time for Day 7 of our series! A lot of the time here on GNL we focus on clothes for gifts. We love clothes, duh! But there are so many other options people! We love to get creative here, so let’s look into some cool options for gift ideas this season.

      Personalized Gifts
It could be a letter on a keychain or an engraved pendant, but personalized gifts are always so sentimental! Another great idea for a personalized gift is a photo album. I know that as I get older, when people ask me what I want for my birthday or christmas, I start to think and realize that I don't want anything. I have multiple dresses, makeup, books etc. I'd rather have something sentimental! And if you have anyone in your family that's the same way, and doesn't need more material possessions, then a personalized gift is the perfect choice!

DIY Gifts
I don’t know about you but I love getting gifts that someone made themselves! It shows time, effort and just overall sentimental value. So if you want to give a DIY gift, what can you give? Anything! A coupon book is a great one (see below). Everyone also seems to be into mason jars lately! You can really customize these by adding things people like, or creating themes! For example, a spa jar filled with products they’d need to pamper themselves. Something photo related could also be great since we’re now in a culture where we put photos online, but rarely print them out! There are loads of companies now that create cool gifts with Instagram photos, might be worth looking into!

Donation/Volunteer
It’s really important to think of others at this time of year. When everyone is focusing on material things, it’s useful to reflect on those who don’t have the luxury of a nice holiday dinner or the ability to buy or receive gifts. For my Secret Santa with my cousins this year, I asked for my gift to be a donation to one of my favourite charities. Similarly, why not donate to someone’s favourite charity, or a cause you know they’re fond of. Better yet, instead of Secret Santa, why not organize a trip to a soup kitchen and volunteer. Another great idea is to buy toys for kids and gift them to an organization or an orphanage.

Coupon Book 
This could be a great stocking stuffer! A lot of people use coupon books for their boyfriend/girlfriend, and it’s a super cute idea. There are so many ideas here: free massage, movie date, breakfast in bed etc. I also think it could be great for your family members. Here are a couple ideas: “1 Free Chore”, “Win an Argument”, “Your Choice of TV Show”, “Stay Up Past Midnight” (for kids). Seriously, google this and the ideas are endless. There are lots of ways to make a coupon book too! Get creative!

Food!

Whether you bake, fry or buy, you can’t go wrong with food! Food is an especially great gift for people who are hard to buy for. I know in my family, it’s always a bit harder to think of something for some of my older uncles and aunts because; they’re at an age where they don’t care for material things anymore.  They just want to be surrounded by family and relaxation. So why not add some food in the mix? I think a great gift for these people could be a new gourmet coffee flavor to try! Add in a new coffee mug and you’re good to go!

Are you giving any alternative types of gifts this year? Let us know in the comments below! 
Twitter: @liveshiv
Instagram: liveshiv

No comments:

Post a Comment